Luka Modric– the 33 year old Croatian and Real Madrid midfielder beat Cristiano Ronaldo – his former team mate now with Juventus, and Mohammed Salah of Liverpool to win the Best Fifa men’s player award 2018. The midfielder won his third successive Champions League title in May and led Croatia to their first World Cup final in July. He made the following speech in acceptance of the award:
“This award shows you can be the best with hard work and belief, all dreams can come true,…I’d like to thank my club Real Madrid, the fans for the support, they show me always the support I need.”
Mohammed Salah received the Puskas award for the best goal of the season – his goal against Everton in the Premier League at Anfield last December. His goal was selected best ahead of Gareth Bale, Ronaldo and Lionel Messi goals.
Other awards are:
Brazil and Orlando Pride forward Marta for the Best Fifa women’s player. This is her sixth award as the best Fifa women player.
France’s coach Didier Deschamps – named best men’s coach – his side won the world cup after beating Modric’s Croatia 4-2 in the World Cup final.
Peru’s supporters won the Fifa Fan Award after thousands of them flew to Russia in support of their nation during the world cup.
Kylian Mbappe, 19, French and PSG forward was awarded best young player at of World Cup for his impressive performances at the tournament.
Thibaut Courtois was voted as the best goalkeeper in the world but was not included in the list of the world XI:
- De Gea – Goalkeeper – Spain and Manchester United
- Dani Alves – Defender – Brazil and Paris Saint-Germain
- Raphaël Varane – Defender – France and Real Madrid
- Sergio Ramos – Defender – Spain and Real Madrid
- Marcelo Vieira – Defender – Brazil and Real Madrid
- N’Golo Kanté – Midfielder – France and Chelsea
- Luka Modric – Midfielder – Croatia and Real Madrid
Lionel Messi – Forward – Argentina and Barcelona
- Kylian Mbappé – Forward – France and Paris Saint-Germain
- Eden Hazard – Forward – Belgium and Chelsea
- Cristiano Ronaldo – Forward – Portugal and Juventus